Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Lola vs. Abrupt Conversation Endings

I was soul searching last night a.k.a catching up on my old Dvred shows (if that hasn't become a noun and verb combo in the dictionary yet it needs to ASAP) and I noticed something that I somehow missed during my recent Dvr-every-show-you-possibly-can-even-if-it's-crap
affliction. Unfortunately since this nagging detail has occurred to me, I can't get it out of my head: No one on television ever fucking says goodbye when they end a phone call!

The conversations usually go something like this:

Girl A: But I've realized that I'm in love with him!
Girl B: (pause) Then that's all that really matters and everything will be fine.
Girl A: Sure, until he finds out than I'm the one hiding- insert "The Big Secret" here- that eventually will come out despite my ridiculously inane attempts to cover it up. (click)

I'm also a big fan of the dramatic statement and trail-off hang up:

Homicide Detective A: That means our suspect's - insert Modus operandi here- doesn't match up with the evidence!
Homicide Detective B: Or so the Germans would have us believe... (click)

In one episode I counted four conversations that all ended in the above fashion. I figure if people on television are all doing this, it has to be an acceptable form of closing a dialog. So I think I'll test this out. The next time I am on the phone with my sister, I am going to hang up immediately after saying, "And that's how he might have gotten me pregnant."

Before ending this, I'd like to thank Spryte over at Spryte's Place for giving me the Kreativ Blogger Award! Her recipe for Stuffed French Toast made me want to weep uncontrollably. In a good way.


Kreativ

1 comment:

Michele said...

OMG! This is something that I've always noticed. Back in the day I used to watch Days of Our Lives with my Mother. This happened all the time in the exact way you described! It used to drive me crazy!

Congrats on your first blog award!!!